Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Why Jesus' True Last Words Are So Important

I was just conversing with one of my co-workers about the importance of the contradiction of the Bible's reporting of Jesus' last words. He said that it did not matter, because it would not change his belief system.

So I began to explain why it does matter. Aside from the fact that it is a contradiction in a "perfect" book, let's assume that the now infamous "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?", quote was the true last words of Jesus. Now let's look at the implications of that set of words.

The first implication is that the holy Trinity does not exist. If you are your father, thus God, then you know why he has "forsaken" you. You are him. His knowledge is your knowledge.

The next and probably the more important implication, is that Jesus' statement, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." is false. Being forsaken and being sacrificed for all of humanity are wildly different things. In fact they are completely opposite.

So if he was lying, or just plain insane is anyone's guess. But what is apparent is that any belief system founded on the teachings of a person like this, is suspect at best. That belief system could even cause you problems down the road if say, the Islamics are correct(which they aren't).

Or, better yet, let's assume the old testament is correct. "You shall have no other gods before me." is saying that any claim by another entity to be God, is wrong. Maybe that is why Jesus was forsaken, dying on that cross, in the hot sun. That is certainly what one would expect of a jealous and vengeful god.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.